BMW Australia has announced a new entry-level model for the X1 range, with the 2018 BMW X1 sDrive18i now on sale.
And at $45,900, it’s the cheapest BMW SUV you can buy. The company also says the new X1 variant brings several ‘firsts’ to the range.
So, what’s new?
For a start, the engine. It’s the first time that an X1 has been fitted with a three-cylinder motor.
The new motor is a 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, making 100kW and 220Nm – not bad for a thee-pot.
It powers the front wheels only (hence the sDrive not xDrive) through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, keeping fuel use to 5.4L/100km on the combined cycle.
Is that all?
Not quite. The new X1 may be cheap, but it hasn’t been overlooked when it comes to tech.
It gets a touch-screen infotainment system with iDrive6 – the latest in BMW’s software – through a 6.5-inch high-res screen.
Voice control is standard, or you can use the iDrive rotary controller.
Here’s what’s included as standard
- Front and rear park distance control
- Cruise control with braking function
- Rear view camera
- Parking assistant
- LED headlights with cornering lights
- High-beam assist
- Driving Assistant including speed limit info, lane departure and forward collision warning
- 18-inch BMW light alloy wheels
- Automatic tailgate operation
- Real-time traffic information
- Foldable rear seats with 40:20:40 split
- Instrument panel with 5.7-inch TFT display
- Colour 6.5-inch infotainment touchscreen
- Speed Limit Info
Then there are the options
Of course, it’s a BMW, so you can start ticking boxes.
Convenience Package – $1,500
- Interior rear-view mirror with anti-dazzle function
- Seat adjustment for rear seats
- Automatic air conditioning
- Lights package
Innovations Package – $2,600
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Navigation system Plus
- BMW Head-Up Display
- ConnectedDrive Freedom including Concierge Services
Comfort Package – $2,700
- Comfort Access
- Electric seat adjustment for driver and front passenger, memory function
- Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
- Exterior driver-side mirror with automatic anti-dazzle function
- Seat heating for driver and front passenger
BMW X1 range
|X1 sDrive18i||1.5L 3-cyl turbopetrol||100kW/220Nm||9.6sec||5.4L/100km||145g/km|
|X1 sDrive18d||2.0L 4-cyl turbodiesel||110kW/330Nm||9.2sec||4.7L/100km||124g/km|
|X1 sDrive20i||2.0L 4-cyl turbopetrol||141kW/280Nm||7.6sec||6.2L/100km||139g/km|
|X1 xDrive25i||2.0L 4-cyl turbopetrol||170kW/350Nm||6.5sec||6.6L/100km||154g/km|
The X1 sDrive18i is available for order now.
2018 BMW X1 pricing
X1 sDrive18i – $45,900
X1 sDrive18d – $49,900
X1 sDrive20i – $53,600
X1 xDrive25i – $60,700
All prices plus on-road costs and options