BMW Australia has announced pricing and specs for its smallest SUV, the 2018 BMW X2, with the first model to hit in March.
The front-wheel-drive sDrive20i will kick off the X2 range, starting out at $55,990 plus on-road costs and options.
The entry level model is the first at launch, with other variants to come. The 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol four-cylinder makes 141kW and 280Nm and will get from 0-100kmh in 7.7 seconds.
Power is sent to the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic, and it while fuel use hasn’t been released yet, it will probably return an ADR listed figure of around 6.3-litres/100km.
The new X2 is slightly smaller than the X1 which spawned the platform on which the X2 is based, being 4360mm long, 1824mm wide and 1526mm tall. That puts it around eight centimetres shorter in length, a finger width narrower and about seven centimetres shorter in height.
BMW does say, though, that the boot hasn’t suffered too much from this slight shrinking, availing a luggage space of 470 litres, which is 35 litres less than the X1. Put the back seats down and you’ll find 1355 litres of space. Overall, the X2 is a bigger car than its main rival, the Audi Q2, including inside.
The company says the X2 sports the “latest interpretation of the classic BMW double kidney grille”, meaning we may see this shape appear on future SUVs from BMW. Hexagonal LED headlights round off the front end.
The Hoffmeister kink still features, while the side profile is made even more distinctive by the BMW logo on the C-pillar, taking inspiration from the 1968 E9 Coupe.
At the back, there’s a subtle M-spoiler, LED tail lights and the tailgate is operated by lifting the BMW logo.
Inside, attention has been paid to the surface materials to imbue an even greater sense of quality than we’re accustomed to from BMW – after all, the company has been famous for its dynamics, while Audi and Mercedes-Benz have leapt forward in the quality stakes.
The an ambient interior lighting package comes as standard (with six lighting options), and the new instrument panel gets more contrast for easier daytime viewing. As you’d expect, iDrive 6 comes as standard, giving you a 6.5-inch touchscreen for controlling the infotainment system (in addition to the iDrive controller) however you can option an 8.8-inch screen as well.
BMW’s “Connected+” system enables a smartphone link to the car enabling route planning and calendar appointments to pop up on the screen where necessary.
What you get
BMW says that the X2 is the first model to get the M Sport X trim level as standard. An M Sport package is also available at no cost.
BMW X2 sDrive20i specifications
- 19-inch M light alloy wheels
- M Sport X Exterior Package
- M Sport suspension
- M rear spoiler
- LED headlights with cornering lights
- LED Fog Lights
- High-beam Assist
- Automatic tailgate operation
- Cloth Alcantara Anthracite with yellow contrast stitching
- M Leather steering wheel
- BMW Individual headliner in Anthracite
- Sports seats for driver and front passenger
- Interior Lights package
- Automatic air conditioning
- Rear-view mirror with anti-dazzle function
- Park distance control, front and rear
- Cruise control with braking function
- Rear view camera
- Parking Assistant
- Driving Assistant, including speed limit info, lane departure warning, Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation and forward collision warning
- Real-time Traffic Information
- Foldable second-row seats with 40:20:40 split
- Instrument panel with 5.7-inch TFT display
- Satellite navigation
- 6.5-inch colour touchscreen infotainment
Innovations Package – $2,600
– Driving Assistant Plus including Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function – Navigation System Plus
– BMW Head-Up Display
– ConnectedDrive Freedom including Concierge Services
Comfort Package – $2,700
– Comfort Access
– Electric seat adjustment for driver and front passenger, with memory function – Lumbar support for driver and front passenger
– Seat heating for driver and front passenger
– Exterior driver-side mirror with anti-dazzle function
Style Plus Package – $3,300
– 20-inch BMW M light alloy wheels in double-spoke style 717 M (style 716 M is also available)
– Metallic paintwork
– Panorama Glass sunroof
2018 BMW X2 pricing
X2 sDrive20i $55,900
Length – 4,360mm
Width – 1,824mm
Height – 1,526mm
Wheelbase – 2,670mm
Load capacity – 470L (seats up) / 1,355L (seats down)